World Book Day 2020


A while back I asked on Instagram whether or not you might like to see my growing collection of books that sit on the Eva-Mae studio shelf and lots of you responded with a "YES", so I thought what better day to share this blog post than on World Book Day!

I go through phases of reading fiction books, often time plays a big part in this, so I'm more likely to read on holiday when I can find more time to really get into a book, however non-fiction books are definitely my thing - I love a book that can be dipped in and out of whenever there's a spare minute and also books with beautiful illustrations and I know you should "never judge a book by it's cover" but often I do, so if I spot a pretty book in a bookshop, I'm highly likely to buy it! 

Over the years I've collected quite a few, mostly fashion, wedding and business related and I've picked out some of my favourites to show you. I'll pop links to where you can buy the books - this won't necessarily be where I bought them from but where they are available from at the time of writing this post.

V&A Museum
If you've been following me a while you probably know that I love a London trip and this normally involves a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Not only do they have some amazing exhibitions but they also have a shop, full of beautifully illustrated  books, many of which are in conjunction with their exhibitions. Obviously some of my favourite purchases are wedding related!

A-Z of Wedding Style by Kate Bethune
Tiaras Past and Present by Geoffrey Munn

(L) Watered Silk Wedding Dress by Edward Molyneux (1948)
(R) Embroidered Silk Wedding Dress by Norman Hartnell (1951)


Dita Von Teese wearing a stunning violet shot taffeta gown by Vivienne Westwood.

(L) Beautifully detailed sketch designs from Fabergé's chief jewellery workmaster, Holmström.
(R) A stunning tiara of oak leaves, acorns and hollow acorn cups made by Garrard in 1904.

From this stunning tiara image, it seems that stars themed weddings aren't just a recent trend!

Fashion
I'll be honest, I really didn't like history lessons at school, but if we'd been taught about the history of fashion I think I would have been much more interested! I love reading about fashion icons such as Coco Chanel and Christian Dior and now have quite a collection of books relating to these. Some of my favourites are by Megan Hess, an amazing fashion illustrator, who also has an extremely pretty Instagram account which is I'd highly recommend a look at - @meganhess_official

Coco Chanel by Megan Hess

Coco Chanel by Megan Hess

Weddings
Obviously it wouldn't be an Eva-Mae book shelf without a collection of wedding themed books...perfect if your looking for a little inspiration - any studio visitors are welcome to have a browse over a coffee!

Top tips, such as how to find the right bridal shoe.

Gorgeous inspiration, including those all important finishing touches, such as choosing the perfect wedding day perfume.
Rock My Wedding: Your Day Your Way


Business
I love a business book, they're perfect if you need just a little inspiration or advice and two of my favourites are She Means Business by Carrie Green and Brand Brilliance by Fiona Humberstone.
Are you a small business owner? I'd love to know your recommendations of any good business books to read!


Dior...Designer of Dreams
And last but certainly not least my latest book, the stunning Christian Dior by Oriole Cullen and Connie Karol Burks. Capturing the highlights of the amazing exhibition Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams which I was lucky enough to see at The Victoria and Albert Museum last Summer.

A full blog post dedicated to this exhibition will be coming soon!

 


I hope you've enjoyed a look at some of my favourite reads, I'd love to know what your favourite books are and if you have any book recommendations that you think I might like to add to my collection, please comment below.
Other blog posts you might enjoy...

   


Comments

Popular Posts